Monday, March 15, 2010

It' here!



GG Donovan maintains Vera's Garden on the Greenway in Minneapolis. If you are on Facebook, you can keep up with the work he is doing here by becoming a fan of the Facebook page: Vera's Garden. Donovan posted that tulips and crocuses were up, so I ventured over there last week to see.

Even though I've been aware of Vera's Garden for years, this was my first visit. Finding the tulips was a bit of a scavenger hunt...and delightfully, I found other growing things in my search. It is amazing how much is growing under the snow. How many living things there are, fresh and green (or sometimes red, in the case of some baby sedum!) just waiting and ready to go as soon as the snow melts away!


I determined the best place to look for the tulips would be along the Greenway wall, knowing it is warmer there. My first finds were the daylilies which are several inches tall already.

Just as I discovered the tulips, I hear a voice calling out to me..."They are not up yet..." This from a man jogging by, whose name I learned is Jim.

"Oh, but they are up!" I told him. Jim clambered up the slope through the mud and the poop and looking down at the ground let out a cheer "It's here!"



For lo, the winter is past! The snow is over and gone (well, maybe); the flowers appear on the earth; the time for spring has come.

Welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment