Friday, April 9, 2010

Living the Lush Life

I've been told, and I know it's true, that sometimes I seem standoffish. Even when I am working in the garden. Appearances being different from reality--at least most of the time--it's more likely that I am lost in my thoughts, or I am focused on my work. Or that I am trying not to puke. As rewarding as guerilla gardening is, at times, especially during spring clean-up, it can be dirty, disgusting work.

On March 17, St. Patrick's Day, I went to clean up the Lush Life Garden. This space is mostly filled in with juniper shrubs and is located behind a bus stop at a key intersection in the neighborhood. Clean-up here doesn't mean clearing out leaf mulch and plant debris. It is plucking empty liquor bottles and paper beverage cups out of the juniper, sweeping up cigarette butts, and raking over vomit. Somebody else's, not mine. I discovered a used condom, but actually found some charm in that. It was bright kelly green, and being it was St. Patrick's Day and all...it seemed a good fit (for the garden).

Once the filth-fighting was accomplished, the light began to return to my outlook. GG Sean came by to say hello. Sean works at the bar across the street and did the mulching and some planting at Lush Life. I showed him how the RadRazz Knockout Roses his brother planted survived the winter. He talked about wanting to rip out all the juniper and replace it with hosta. I almost sent him away. We noted bulb graves planted last fall are resurrecting tulips and daffodils. It won't be long. The days of lusty lushful living are upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment