Sunday, April 18, 2010

Marilyn Benjamin, my friend...who are you?

In profile statements it seems that Foreclosure Park was my first Guerrilla Garden. Not so. In the early years of occupying my former home, I caught sight of this sign. Barely visible from the street only steps away, the sign was covered by scrubby brush that had grown up around it.

It seemed not a good idea to leave a memorial garden untended and five or six years ago, I began cleaning it up and renovating it. It has been a slow process. Over time, I have cut down probably 20 volunteer scrub trees. These trees created too much shade for a Butterfly Garden to thrive. Gradually, with repeated applications of Round-Up concentrate, cutting, and burying stumps under mounds of black compost, and amending, amending, amending the soil, this year the garden promises to emerge from its chrysalis and qualify again as a true Butterfly Garden.

I hope Marilyn Benjamin would be pleased. I don't know who she is. I've made some minimal efforts to find out, but no luck. If anybody can fill me in, I would be ever so pleased.
BTW--Friend Horace (see Foreclosure Park 4.9.2010 post) lives across the street from this garden. I was pulling Creepy Charlie out of the bed last night and he came over to visit. He has grown more frail since I last saw him, but in general seems well.





1 comment:

  1. Robin, I stumbled onto your blog in one of those FB tangent ways. I agree with all you said about this little park and think it is SO wonderful that you've been working on it! I've often wondered too who Marylin Benjamin is...

    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with this one!

    ReplyDelete